About the Connect Center
The Connect Center is a youth-oriented community center located in Cohoes, NY. With a mission of breaking the cycle of poverty by connecting youth to their full potential, the Connect Center uses holistic programming initiatives in innovative ways to better serve its community. With a small staff and a culture of progress and solidarity, the Connect Center implements its values of community, empowerment, and innovation in every step of what it does.About AmeriCorps VISTA
Today, more than 46 million Americans live in poverty. AmeriCorps VISTA taps the skills, talents and passion of more than 7,000 Americans annually to support community efforts in their fight against poverty. Here in the Capital Region, you can join AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) through the Siena College AmeriCorps VISTA Fellows program and help local communities experiencing poverty.
AmeriCorps VISTA members live and serve in some of our nation’s poorest urban and rural areas. With passion, commitment, and hard work, they create or expand programs designed to bring individuals and communities out of poverty.
Siena College AmeriCorps VISTA Fellows make a year-long, full-time commitment to serve on a specific project at a Capital Region nonprofit organization, public agency, or educational institution. They focus their efforts to build the organizational, administrative, and financial capacity of organizations that fight illiteracy, improve health services, foster economic development, and assist low-income communities.
Goals and Duties of The Position
Afterschool programming at the Connect Center has grown tremendously in its first year. The Director of Program Development at the Connect Center will sustain this growth by focusing on evaluation of first year programming, planning for second year programming, and building a new program series focusing on STEAM and Career/Financial Aid education.
The goals and duties of the position include:
- Evaluate current Connect After School programs, focusing on STEAM and financial literacy programming
- Develop 2022 Summer STEAM programming and partnerships in conjunction with the Resource Development Coordinator and Executive Director.
- Launch the CAFE (Career and Financial Education) program series.
- Steward relationships with stakeholders including local businesses and the Cohoes city government and school district.
- Develop marketing materials as necessary for programs and events.
- Aid in the supervision and training of volunteers, including college interns.
- Support all fundraising events for the organization.
VISTAs will develop skills in public speaking, career management, and social justice. We pride ourselves on being informed, caring, and intentional members of our communities and take the time to analyze our own roles in society.
As a part of the ACE program, VISTA members take part in our monthly team building days, attend AmeriCorps training, and have access to Siena’ College’s faculty and many resources to learn more about their areas of interest.Position Details
- Hours: Very flexible but 40 hours per week is required.
- Paid?: Yes
If you are interested in this position, please submit a resume below and the Connect Center will send you further information.